MUNHALL (KDKA) – More than a dozen people were forced out their homes Tuesday morning due to a fire.

However, everyone made it out safely thanks to quick-thinking tenants and a fast response from firefighters.

According to officials at the scene, the fire broke out on Longfellow Drive in Munhall around 9:30 a.m.

Susan Thomas, who lives in a nearby building, immediately jumped into action. She yelled for someone to call 911 and then ran to help get people out of harm’s way.

“I just went over and started pounding on the doors and knocking on the doors and people didn’t answer. I saw a dog in one building, so I broke the window open and went inside and got the dog out,” Thomas said.

Everyone made it out safely, including pets.

Janet Geiger, who was at work in Homestead when the fire sparked, raced home to see the damage and to make sure her cat was okay.

“Thankfully, nobody is hurt from what I’ve gathered so far and my cat is fine. He is laying in there relaxing, listening to all the chaos,” Geiger said.

The chief said most of the smoke damage was contained to the attic area of the building. The chief also said he hopes at least some of the people who live in these homes will be able to be back in by the end of the day.

“The Red Cross has been called. They’ll be taking care of all of that, inside the rec center,” Chief Daniel Rojtas said.

One firefighter suffered a heat-related illness. He was taken from the scene on a stretcher, but is expected to be okay.


More Local News
More Munhall News
More Reports From Sarah Arbogast

Watch & Listen LIVE