With Labor Day coming up this weekend, Rania Harris stopped by PTL to show off some great recipes that will be perfect for your gathering!
Grilled Sweet and Spicy Chicken Sausage Sandwiches
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onion (about 2 very large onions)
- 4 cloves of garlic ~ minced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried chile flakes (or to taste)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 fresh spicy chicken sausages
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 baguettes, quartered and sliced lengthwise
- Coarse Dijon mustard
For the onion marmalade:
Heat the oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften but not brown. Add 1 cup water, the brown sugar and chile flakes. Cook the onions until almost all the liquid is absorbed, stirring often and then add the garlic and cook for a few additional minutes. Add the apple cider vinegar and simmer until the marmalade is thick, stirring often, 10 – 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cool.
For the grilled sausages:
Prepare a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the sausages with oil. Grill the sausages, turning them constantly, until golden and cooked through, or when an instant-read thermometer inserted in a sausage reads about 165 degrees.
Toast the baguettes on the grill.
Spread each baguette with the mustard. Place the grilled sausages on top of each baguette and top with the onion marmalade
Yield: 8 sausage sandwiches
Note: Refrigerate leftover marmalade for a later use
Grilled Peaches and Pound Cake
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Mexican cinnamon (or more to taste)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 8 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- Canola oil
- Purchased pound cake ~ cut into 8 – 1/2 –inch thick slices
- Vanilla ice cream
- Mint leaves, for garnish
In a small bowl add the butter and stir until smooth. Add the cinnamon, and granulated and mix until combined.
Heat grill to high. Brush peaches with oil and grill until golden brown and just cooked through.
Place a piece of pound cake on each of 8 plates. Top each piece with 2 peach halves and top with a few of the butter. Add a scoop of ice cream and garnish with mint leaves.