Traffic, Parking Restrictions In Effect For Sunday’s Steelers Game
Buy Steelers Tickets
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The Pittsburgh Steelers are asking for the public’s help to avoid a parking mess on the North Shore Sunday.
Both the Pirates and Steelers will be in action, meaning parking will be a bit of an issue.
The Pirates will play host to the Cincinnati Reds at 1:35 p.m. As a result, the Steelers are encouraging their fans to arrive at the North Shore after 6 p.m. in the hopes of allowing the Pirates fans to exit the parking lots.
According to a statement from the team, fans attending the Sunday Night Football game against the Bears will not be allowed into the pre-sold lots before 6 p.m.
There is little doubt the final home game of the regular season will draw a capacity crowd to PNC Park; and a few hours later, the Steelers faithful will fill Heinz Field to the rafters.
That’s 110,000 avid sports fans vying for a limited supply of tailgating real estate.
“This will create a unique experience for both teams’ fans,” said Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten.
So, the Steelers and Pirates are trying to get ahead of what could be a complete traffic mess.
“It’s going to require cooperation on the part of both Pirates’ fans and Steelers’ fans,” said Merrill Stabile, the president of ALCO Parking.
With the baseball game expected to end around 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., there are two keys to the master plan. First, Steelers’ fans not coming too early.
“We are encouraging our fans to arrive on the North Shore after 6 p.m.,” said Lauten.
Second, officials say if Pirates’ fans leave immediately after that game, they’ll get out easier.
Assuming no rain delay or extra innings, Pirate fans, they would like you off the North Side by 5:30 p.m., and to help make that happen, police will be blocking the ramps and roads into the North Shore.
Lauten: “They are going to be closed coming into the North Shore from approximately 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.”
KDKA’s John Shumway: “So, you’re trying to seal it off?”
Lauten: “Yes, to make it easier for the Pirates’ fans to exit and our fans to come.”
The restrictions are:
- General Robinson Street will have two lanes inbound and two lanes outbound to assist in the traffic between games.
- Reedsdale Ave. westbound ramp to Rivers Casino will be closed (except for pre-sold parking passes to the Casino and Carnegie Science Center) from 4-6 p.m.
- The Ninth Street Bridge will be open for Sunday’s game.
- The Clemente Bridge will close at 8 a.m. and re-open at approximately 5:30 p.m. for the Steelers game.
The LRT (“T”) will continue to provide free service from Downtown. Fans are encouraged to park in one of the nine Pittsburgh Parking Authority garages Downtown and Strip District for only $5.00.
The team is suggesting fans use the following parking lots for the game as well:
Station Square, 1st Ave. Garage, Mellon Garage, Convention Center, Manor Garage, Oxford Garage, Allegheny Center Garage.
Fans can also utilize the LRT service from the South Hills with service to the North Shore.
- Golden Triangle and Strip District Parking will be available for a minimal cost of only $2.00. This includes the Manor Garage (564 Forbes Avenue) and 11th and Smallman (Strip District).
- The Carnegie Science Center parking lot will have cash parking and encourage Pirates fans to exit the lot by 5:30 p.m.
- Fans can also park at Station Square ($10.00) and ride the Gateway Clipper Fleet Steelers shuttle boats ($5.00 per person, each way).
- The Convention Center parking lots will be open beginning at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning
For more information, visit the Steelers website at this link!
In addition, the Steelers now say Stage AE will open at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday for fans who arrive on the North Shore early. Admission is free for the Official Tailgate Zone and prizes will be given away throughout the day.
Finally, here’s a list of the ALCO Parking lots that will not be open to fans until 6 p.m., that’s even if you have a pre-sold parking pass for the game:
- Gold Lot 4
- Gold Lot 5
- Gold Lot 6
- Blue 10 Garage
- West General Robinson Red 5 Garage