kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Local

Braddock Woman Recovering After Being Saved From Burning Apartment

View Comments
(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Bob Allen Bob Allen
Bob Allen joined the KDKA-TV team in January 2000 as a General...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

BRADDOCK (KDKA) – A Braddock woman is thanking police officers for saving her life after they rescued her from a fire last night.

KDKA spoke with her from her hospital bed.

Lavonda Pompey is resting at Mercy Hospital. She went to sleep in her apartment Saturday night in Braddock and woke up in the hospital after being rescued from a fire.

When Braddock firefighters arrived at her home in the Maple View Terrace Apartments, thick smoke was pouring through the window. Pompey says she has no idea when or how the fire started.

“When I went to bed, I woke up, I was here,” she said, “people all around my bed – my brothers, my sisters, my nieces, my nephews. Everybody was here, I woke up to their faces, that was a nice feeling too.”

Pompey woke up in the hospital thanks to the courage of three Braddock Police Officers and an officer from Rankin who pulled her out of her apartment after she was already overcome by thing smoke.

“They had pulled her out through the kitchen and at that point in time, three of the officers were overcome with smoke inhalation, along with the occupant of the building,” said Braddock Volunteer Fire Department Chief Thomas Petrovic.

“They deserve all the credit, they were extremely brave,” Braddock Mayor John Fetterman said. “They acted in a selfless manner and literally pulled this woman out of a burning building – flames coming out the front.”

Pompey is also thankful.

“I wouldn’t be here,” she said. “I’m so glad they did what they did.”

At first Pompey thought she was rescued by firefighters, but the officers were rescuing her as firefighters were arriving.

“I thank them too,” she said. “I thank you all too, but I didn’t know that.”

“My hand got burned, my leg and my feet, my knee, my foot,” she added. “Ouch, I can’t even lift it.”

Officials believe the fire started in the kitchen. Since then, her home has been boarded up. Pompey will continue to recover, knowing the outcome could have been much worse.

“I’m so happy,” she said. “I’m just so happy, I can’t say no more. I’m just so happy and thankful too.”

RELATED LINKS
More Local News
More Police News

View Comments
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,097 other followers