McKeesport Church Spews Black Smoke After Catching Fire
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – A smoky fire caused damage to a McKeesport church Thursday afternoon.
It started as a burglar call, but when police got to God’s Recreational Christian Church on Fawcett Road around noon they quickly discovered a raging blaze.
Because of the cold and ice, fire crews were able to get things under control in 15 minutes, but still there’s significant damage inside.
“The majority of the fire was up in the sanctuary area. It’s in the front alter part of the church, so there’s damage in there. It’s sad,” said McKeesport Fire Chief Kevin Lust.
The church lost its organ and its choir loft.
Still the congregation of 200 is praising God that no one was inside when flames broke out. They are confident that they’ll rebuild.
“We’re people of strong faith and God brought us here and he’ll keep us. We will be in again with the help of the Lord,” said Pastor Priscilla Dixon.