This week, Chef Bill Fuller, of the Big Burrito Group, stops by the Pittsburgh Today Live kitchen to whip up Short Rib Scallion Pancakes.
Short Rib Scallion Pancakes
- 4 ea. Scallion Pancakes
- Braised Short Ribs
- ¼ C. Sliced radish
- 1 bu. Cilantro
1. Make Scallion Pancakes.
2. Reheat Braised Short Ribs by heating gently in braising liquid.
3. Make Scallion Pancakes.
4. Place short rib on pancake. Top with cilantro and radish.
5. Fold over. Eat like a taco!
- 1 ½ C. Flour, plus flour for dusting
- ½ C. Boiling water
- 2 Tbs. Cold water
- 4 ea. Scallions, sliced thinly into rings
- 1 Tbs. Sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. Butter
- Kosher salt
- 4 Tbs. Neutral oil to fry breads
1. Stir boiling water into flour.
2. Add cold water.
3. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until elastic and supple. (5 minutes)
4. Form dough into ball, wrap in plastic, and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Melt butter with sesame oil.
6. Divide dough into 4-6 equal parts. Keep remaining parts covered. Roll one piece into an even disc.
7. Brush with butter and sesame oil. Sprinkle with scallions.
8. Fold each side of the circle to the middle, creating a long rectangle.
9. Roll rectangle. Place on side and smash down. Roll out.
10. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 1-2 Tbs oil. Fry pancake on one side, then the other.
Braised Short Ribs
(May be done well ahead of time, the previous day even)
- 1/3 C. Soy sauce 8
- 1/3 C. Rice wine vinegar
- ¼ C. Garlic cloves
- 2 ea. Stalks lemongrass, small chop
- 2 Tbs. Chopped fresh ginger
- ¼ C. Brown sugar
- 1 qt. Water
- 1/4 C. Sliced scallions
- 2 ea. Dried red chilies
- 2 C. Orange juice
- ½ C. Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbs. Lemon juice
- 5 # Short ribs, on the bone
- Salt and pepper
1. Combine all ingredients except short rib, salt and pepper. Puree.
2. Pre-heat oven to 450°
3. Season short ribs well with salt and pepper. Place in a sturdy roasting pan.
4. Place in oven. Allow to brown.
5. Add braising liquid. Reduce heat to 325° and allow to braise. Cook 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender and bones are loose.
6. Remove from oven. Allow to cool.
7. Remove from braising liquid and discard bones. Reserve braising liquid.
8. Trim any extra fat (leave most, though, that is the flavor). Slice into two to three ounce portions.