Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean you can’t make some delicious ribs and here’s a recipe from the Giant Eagle Market District to prove it!
Braised Sweet & Spicy Asian Beef Short Ribs
Compliments of Market District Chef Benjamin D’Amico
Serves: 6-8 Prep Time: 30 min. Cooking Time: 3 ½ hours
- 4-6 lbs Beef Short Ribs
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- (with 1 tbsp each: garlic powder, Chinese 5 Spice, Salt, Pepper )
- ½ cup Ginger, minced
- 1 each Onion, minced
- 8 cloves Garlic, minced
- ¾ cup Shitake Mushrooms, thinly sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup Chili Peppers, minced (optional)
- 2-3 stalks Lemongrass, cut into 2” pieces
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sriacha Chili Garlic Sauce
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- ¾ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- Garnish: Green Onions, Sesame Seeds, Fresh Cilantro, Orange Zest
1. Heat oven to 325F.
2. Lightly dredge the short ribs in the season flour, shake off any excess.
3. Add vegetable oil to a pot or sauté pan and heat over medium.
4. Sear the floured ribs on each side for 1-3 minutes to create a golden brown crust on the ribs. Do this for each rib, be sure not to overcrowd the pan.
5. Set the seasoned ribs into a Dutch oven or other deep oven-safe vessel.
6. Sauté the garlic, onion, ginger, peppers, mushrooms, crushed red pepper, & lemongrass in a sauté pan in 1 tbsp of oil for 5-7 minutes.
7. Evenly pour the sautéed vegetables over the ribs.
8. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the soy sauce, sriacha, orange juice. Borwn sugar, rice wine vinegar, pepper, salt, and 5 spice.
9. Pour the liquid mixture and the beef stock over the ribs.
10. Cover the ribs and braise in the oven for 3 – 3 ½ hours until fork tender.
11. Remove from the oven and pull the ribs out of the cooking liquid, set on a serving plate.
12. Skim the fat off of the remaining cooking liquid and remove the lemongrass.
13. Ladle some of the braising sauce over the ribs, garnish with desired toppings and serve with rice.