GLASSPORT (KDKA) — A mother and her four children, ranging in age from 5 to 15, were taken to the hospital Wednesday evening when they were overcome by suspected carbon monoxide in their home in Glassport.

Emergency officials, including the Glassport Fire Department, were called to the home in the 800-block of Vermont Avenue around 8 p.m.

According to Glassport Fire Chief Wayne Lewis, crews found the family on the back porch of the home when they arrived.

The 35-year-old mother, her sons and a 15-year-old daughter were all showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, fire officials said.

Ron Joseph, the director of Clairton EMS, said an 11-year-old boy suffered the most serious effects from breathing in the colorless, odorless gas.

Joseph described the boy’s condition as “serious-critical.”

All were taken to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital for treatment.

Neighbors said the family had just moved into the two-story house.

The emergency crews had to wear special equipment in the home. They found high levels of carbon monoxide inside.

Crews with Peoples Natural Gas were also called to the scene.

The home will have to be inspected before anyone is allowed back inside.

According to property records, the home was last listed as condemned at the end of January. Now, there are concerns about if the house was properly inspected before the victims moved in.

The names of the five people undergoing treatment have not been released.

Stay with KDKA for the latest on this developing story.

More Glassport News
More Local News
More Reports by Ralph Iannotti

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App

Watch & Listen LIVE