Rania’s Recipes: Bridal & Baby Shower Tea Sandwiches
Rania Harris stopped by Pittsburgh Today Live to show off some more great recipe ideas for bridal and baby showers!
Sandwich Horns with Boursin Cheese
- 8 thin slices whole wheat bread
- Purchased Boursin Cheese
- Fresh Dill
Remove the crusts from the whole wheat bread and cut one corner off each slice; rounding it slightly.
Spread a slice of the bread with Boursin cheese. With the rounded corner of the bread toward you, lift the sides and fold one over the other. Stick the bread in position with the filling and secure with a toothpick. Chill for 20 minutes to firm.
Garnish with sprigs of fresh dill.
Crab and Avocado Sandwiches
- 6 ounces crabmeat – pick over for shells and cartridge
- 3 scallions – chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2-cup mayonnaise
- 1 large avocado, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- Frisee leaves to garnish
Mix the crabmeat with the chopped scallions in a mixing bowl. Add seasoning to taste and combine with 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
Cut the avocado into slices and brush all over with the lemon juice to prevent it from discoloring.
Butter the bread and divide the crabmeat between four of the slices, spreading the mixture right to the edges. Cover the crab mixture with the slices of avocado.
Spread the remaining mayonnaise over the remaining slices of bread and place onto of the avocado. Press together firmly. Remove the crusts and cut the sandwiches diagonally into quarters. Place the sandwiches on a plate and garnish with the frisee leaves.
Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
- 1 loaf of whole wheat bread – thinly sliced – crusts removed
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon rind
- 6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 8 ounces smoked salmon slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh dill sprigs to garnish platter
Slice the loaf of bread carefully along its length to form 8 thin slices. Cut off the crusts.
Combine the grated lemon rind with the butter and the chopped dill. Spread each slice of bread with the lemon-dill butter. Arrange the smoked salmon slices over the bread, leaving a strip of buttered bread at one short end. Grind some black pepper over the top. With the salmon covered short end toward you, roll up the bread carefully and tightly like a jelly roll. The buttered end will ensure that the bread sticks together.
Wrap each roll in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. This will help the filling and bread to set in the rolled position so that it does not unwind when sliced.
Using a sharp serrated knife, carefully cut each roll into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange the slices attractively on a plate and serve garnished with dill sprigs.
Egg, Chopped Tomato and Arugula Sandwiches
- 10 medium hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 small bunch arugula, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 18 white bread slices
- Whipped cream cheese
- Fresh Italian parsley leaves
Coarsely chop eggs. Place in large bowl. Add mayonnaise and mustard and stir to combine. Mix in tomatoes and arugula. Add salt and pepper. Lightly butter one side of each bread slice. Spread generous 1/4 cup filling over each of 9 bread slices. Top each with buttered slice of bread, buttered side down. Cut into hearts, using heart-shaped cookie cutter. Spoon cream cheese into small pastry bag fitted with small star tip. Pipe star of cream cheese onto center of each sandwich. Garnish with parsley.