If you’re looking for a pasta salad recipe that will be a big hit this July 4th, Rania Harris has a couple of delicious options!
Pasta Salad with Shrimp and Lemon Dill Dressing
- 3 lemons – juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey (or more to taste)
- 1 cup fresh dill, fronds chopped, stems reserved
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons – juiced
- 1 ½ pounds 16 – 18 count shrimp, peeled, tails removed and deveined
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups diced English cucumber
In a large bowl, whisk together the juice of 3 lemons, the honey and chopped dill. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add the juice of the 2 lemons, the dill stems and salt to taste. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the shrimp using a slotted spoon and add to the dressing. Toss to coat.
Bring the poaching liquid back up to a boil. Drop the pasta and cook until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and run it under cold water until the pasta is cooled. Remove the dill stems.
Add the pasta, grape tomatoes and cucumbers to the bowl with the shrimp and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Pasta Salad with Grilled Steak
- ½ pound Orecchiette pasta – cooked al dente
- 1 cup grilled well-seasoned steak cut into bit size cubes (I use filet tips)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped blanched peas
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup crumbled cooked crisp bacon
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves finely grated garlic
- 1 ¼ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place cooked pasta in a large bowl.
Add the steak, red bell pepper, peas, carrots and bacon to the bowl with the pasta.
Make the dressing: Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, garlic, parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Pour just the amount of dressing over the pasta salad and toss to coat. You may have a bit of dressing left over. Keep chilled in the refrigerator until the next use. Season with salt and pepper.
Chill for up to 3 hours and toss again just before serving. You may need to add a bit more dressing, as the pasta tends to soak up the dressing.
Serves: 4 – 6