Arnold Palmer Dies In Pittsburgh At 87

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Golf legend Arnold Palmer died on Sunday in Pittsburgh at the age of 87.

The United States Golf Association confirmed Palmer’s passing.

Our partners at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report Palmer died at UPMC Shadyside. He was admitted to UPMC Presbyterian Thursday to undergo heart tests.

Golf Digest Editor Joel Beall first tweeted just before 8:30 p.m. that Palmer had died. Golf Digest’s official account followed soon after.

The Latrobe native is regarded as one of the greatest players in professional golf history and began playing at the age of 3.

Palmer’s flair for the dramatic introduced the elitist world of golf to a blue collar audience. With a wagonload of trophies, he now receives an honor like no other.

He won the WPIAL and PIAA individual titles as a junior and senior at Latrobe High School in 1946-47. Palmer won seven majors, played The Masters for 50 straight years, co-founded the Golf Channel and was IMG’s first client.

Palmer drew thousands of fans to the game of golf in the 50s and 60s, as his rabid fan base earned the moniker “Arnie’s Army.”

He was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal in 2012.

PHOTOS: Looking Back At The Legendary Life Of Arnold Palmer

Love poured out on social media for the golfer who touched the hearts of many, including from long time friend Jack Nicklaus.

“At this point I don’t know what happened, and I suppose it is not important what happened. What is important is we just lost one of the incredible people in the game of golf and all sports,” he wrote. “I wish I had another chance to talk to him, but I am so glad we talked a couple of weeks ago on his birthday…he was one of my best friends, closest friends, and he was for a long, long time. I will miss him greatly.”

Tiger Woods also remembered his friend.

Both the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Pittsburgh Steelers remembered the great.

President Barack Obama posted a fond memory of him and Palmer in the Oval Office.

CBS Dallas reports that Former President George W. Bush released a statement on Palmer’s passing.

In part, it reads, “For all who love the game of golf and love to see it played, there has never been a sight quite like Arnold Palmer walking down the fairway toward the 18th green…Laura and I are saddened by Arnie’s death and send our sincere condolences to his family, friends and fellow fans.”

He also developed the “Arnold Palmer” beverage, his post-round combination of iced tea and lemonade.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

1. God Bless Arnold Palmer and his family

2. emel1981 says:

One of the true gentlemen of sports, great ambassador of golf and Western Pennsylvania. If he had to die, at least it was in the city he loved. There will NEVER be another Arnold Palmer.

RIP Arnie !

3. Tony Tads says:

i was a soldier in his army.
    he brought me to golf.
    than for being arnie.

4. Mike Moba says:

The only way he could have been any better was to have been a Texan .. RIP Arnie.

1. Hey Mike?
      If he was from Texas he probably wouldn’t have become one of the greatest golfers in the world, so give it a rest, will ‘ya?

5. Rest in Peace, Arnie! You were a great ambassador for the game!

6. A golfing legend, but most mainly a class act.

7. Jim Wolfson says:

A classy guy. Classy guys always seem to leave us, but I bet Clintons and Obamas still infest the Earth, right?

8. icansayitnow says:

The Man with the biggest heart in sports, and America, for children since Danny Thomas’s ST. JUDE. RIP Sir. The World will be a sad place without you. The EAGLE lives on.

9. Stan Dupp says:

As a youngster, I was a fan and admirer of Mr. Palmer from the time he first brought us the thrill of golf on TV. As a high school kid, I followed him on the course and actually got to meet him at the Colonial NIT. As a college kid, I was there and walked the fairways at Preston Trail that day in 1965 when Messrs. Palmer, Snead, Hogan and Nelson played their famous exhibition match. And as a retiree, I was there at Augusta Pines to follow Messrs. Palmer and Trevino, that day in 2006 when Arnold announced that it would be his last round of competitive golf. His presence in our lives has honored us all. Fairways and greens, sir.

10. Golf’s greatest and a man of class.
    RIP champ.
    Your life and career will inspire countless people to come.

George Vreeland Hill

11. Paul King says:

Arnold, the King of Golf!

12. Max McByte says:

When America was great, there was Arnold Palmer!

See you at the next round…

13. I loved his Drink. Lemonade and Iced Tea Mix.

14. I hope his soul soars to heaven like a hawk, I hear St. Peter needs help with his long game…

15. A great American and a gentleman of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

16. Kt Nohava says:

I’m proud say I’ve always been a Member of “Arnie’s Army”, back in the day it was always the battle of the “Big Three”, Arnie, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player, that was exciting Golf and the come from behind shots Arnie would make were absolutely thrilling to watch. Not a bad word can ever be said about this fine man, we all love you Arnie and we’re going to miss you, Rest in Peace.

Comments are closed.