CHARLEROI (KDKA) — A man is in jail after police say he shot two people late Sunday night in Charleroi.
The suspect in the double shooting faces multiple charges. Police say the victims’ injuries are not life-threatening. A man was shot behind the ear, and a 17-year-old was shot in the mouth.
Twenty-two-year-old Emmanuel Diaz said nothing early Monday morning as he was led from the Charleroi Police Department to the Washington County Jail. Diaz, who police say is known as “Mayo Stacks,” was arrested in Monessen a few hours after the shooting.
“He was arrested at his home,” Charleroi police chief Eric Port said. “We weren’t able to recover a weapon at this time.”
After initial reports of multiple scenes, police confirmed the shootings happened in the 900-block of Fallowfield Avenue in Charleroi, around 10:30 p.m. Sunday in an alley.
“They were shot in the same location, in the same block,” Porter said. “The first victim was shot near her car, and the second [victim] fled. He was chased by the shooter.”
Police say the victims and two other people were in Monessen with Diaz earlier Sunday afternoon.
“There was an argument in Monessen earlier in the evening, from what the victims stated, and when they came back home, apparently he followed them over to Charleroi, and that’s when the shooting occurred,” Porter said.
The 17-year-old victim was transported to Mon Valley Hospital, and the man who was shot in the neck was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital to be treated for his injuries.
Diaz faces two charges of criminal attempted homicide and four charges of aggravated assault.
Witnesses told police the fight that led to the double shooting was over money.