2 Dogs Poisoned With Anti-Freeze Laced Treats In Latrobe

LATROBE (KDKA) — Officials are investigating after two dogs were poisoned with treats laced with anti-freeze in Westmoreland County.

Lyra, the chocolate lab, and Jingles, a lab mix, both 3, are recovering at the Avets Hospital in Monroeville from anti-freeze poisoning.

The owner says she was away from her home in Latrobe when someone left the dogs treats laced with anti-freeze in her backyard. She found her dogs eating the treats.

“She found a bucket with some sponges that were wrapped in some sausage treats,” said Dr. Joana Goic, of Avets. “So, it seems like something that had been intentionally put together based on the color. She was worried it was anti-freeze.”

The owner took quick action, rushing her dogs to the Avets hospital in Monroeville where her worst fears were confirmed.

“We did test these dogs for anti-freeze and they were both positive when they came back, indicating they did eat potentially harmful levels of anti-freeze,” Dr. Goic said.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

By taking quick action, the owner probably saved her pets from severe illness or worse. The alcohol in the anti-freeze makes them drunk at first, but toxic chemicals can be lethal if untreated.

“Overtime, the body breaks it down into very toxic substances that can cause very severe damage to kidneys,” said Dr. Goic. “Once kidneys are affected, it can be fatal in dogs.”

Anyone with information on who is responsible for poisoning the dogs, is asked to contact Latrobe Police.

More from Bob Allen

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App
Find Cheaper Gas

Watch & Listen LIVE