Report: Woman Fighting For Her Life After Eating Gas Station Cheese

SACRAMENTO, Ca. (KDKA) — A California woman has been in the hospital for nearly a month after she consumed nacho-cheese sauce from a gas station.

CBS San Francisco reports Lavinia Kelly has been in the intensive care united since she was hospitalized with botulism three weeks ago, which she believes she contracted after drizzling the cheese sauce on her Doritos.

Health officials have confirmed five cases of botulism in patients who ate at the Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station in Sacramento. Three other probable cases and one suspected case are being investigated, according to the The Sacramento Bee

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

Theresa Kelly said she immediately knew something was wrong when her vibrant little sister Lavinia called her almost a month ago.

“My phone rings and I pick up the phone and it’s her. And she can’t articulate a word,” explained Theresa Kelly. “And she’s basically saying, ‘Sister, I need you here now.’”

Kelly, an upbeat mother of three children, felt fatigued within hours of consuming the cheese. The next morning she complained of double vision and was checked out at the hospital. She was sent home, where she was vomiting be evening time.

The next day, Kelly was admitted to the intensive care unit, where she has remained since.

Now, her family has filed a suit against  Valley Oak Food and Fuel, alleging negligence, strict product liability and breach of implied warranty.

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App
Find Cheaper Gas

Watch & Listen LIVE