Chimney Fire Spreads, Damaging West Homestead Home

Follow KDKA-TVFacebook | Twitter

WEST HOMESTEAD (KDKA) — A fire believed to have started in a chimney quickly spread, damaging a family’s home Tuesday night.

Crews were called to the 700 block of Doyle Avenue just before midnight.

A resident told fire crews he started his fireplace and a little while later smoke filled the home. He thought it might have been residue on the logs, but it quickly got worse.

Firefighters said a blockage inside the chimney could have started the fire.  The flames spread into the walls of the second and third floor and into the roof.

“I’m not sure if there’s a blockage in there or whatever, but we had a pretty good fire up into the roof area,” said Chief John Dindak, of the West Homestead VFD.

Chief Dindak says the fire quickly spread into the walls on the second and third floors before going into the roof.

Two adults, two children, and their pets all made it out of the home safely.  The home sustained a lot of water and smoke damage.

Chief Dindak says crews work quickly to save the home.

“They did a good job. It’s a tough street. You know the plugs are far away we have to relay water up here,” he said. “But, the guys did a good job. They kept it under control and hopefully they’ll be able to get in there relatively soon.”

Crews with Emergency Restoration Services were on scene all night and all morning boarding up the home and cleaning up the inside.

“We come inside.  We bring equipment in to dry the place out a little bit.  We bring equipment in, the filter to get rid of the smoke smell,” Emergency Restoration Services Vice President Tommy Powell said.

Powell said the family is in good spirits and staying with relatives.  He wants to remind folks as the temperatures begin to fall, taking care of your home is crucial.

“Get your safety checks on your furnace this time of year, get your chimneys cleaned out for your fireplace, electric heaters and whatnot, check plugs and make sure everything is well there,” said Powell.

October is Fire Prevention Month and Chief Dindak also says it’s a good time to check the batteries in your smoke detectors and make sure your fireplace and chimney are cleaned and prepped for the winter season.

More from Amy Wadas

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App
CBS All Access

Watch & Listen LIVE