Chef Carl Congelo stopped by PTL to demonstrate two delicious dishes just in time for Easter!
Torta Pasqua (Easter pie)
- 3 sheets puff pastry to room temp.
- 2 cups spinach (from frozen thaw and squeeze until dry and makes 2 cups)
- 3 cups ricotta (drain over night in wire strainer to make 3 cups)
- 2 cups chopped soppressata
- 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 5 eggs for mixture beat well
- 1 egg to brush puff pastry before baking
Mix ricotta,spinach, bread crumbs,eggs cheese, salt and pepper, nutmeg and soppressata mix gently to incorperate well.
Using a spring form pan, spray with cooking spray roll out puff pastry fairly thin, place in pan overlapping on bottom to seal and leave excess hanging over pan to fold and cover before baking.
Oven to 400 pre heat, place mixture in pan, beat the 1 egg with 1 t water/ fold the pastry over the top of the pie to cover and seal and brush with egg wash. Bake for about 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Can serve warm or at room temp.
**If crust browns too quickly, may need to lightly tent top with foil…
- 2 large wine glasses
- 2 white or chocolate cupcakes (buy at your favorite bakery)
- 2 cups ricotta (drain over night in wire strainer)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips/+ few extra for top
- 2 T finely chopped pistachios
- 2 crushed waffle ice cream cones
- powdered sugar for dusting
- whipped cream and fresh berries of your choice (optional) for top
Scrape icing off of cup cakes and cut lengthwise in half
Mmix ricotta,chocolate chips and sugar in bowl gently with wire whisk
Divided equally between 2 glasses
Ricotta mix on bottom
Sprinkle some of cone over mix
One layer of cup cake
Now repeat layer of ricotta mix
Sprinkle of cone over mix
Final layer of cup cake and more ricotta mix on top sprinkle of cone
Now top with pistachios,and choc chips and dust powdered sugar
**If using whipped cream and berries, after last layer of ricotta mix, add whipped cream, then cone sprinkle, pistachios and chocolate chips and a few berries and dust with powdered sugar.