kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Latest

Best Lobbies Around Pittsburgh

April 2, 2011 3:32 PM

View Comments
(credit: www.omnihotels.com)
Downtown Pittsburgh is home to many lavishly decorated historic buildings. Many of these buildings have spectacular lobbies, richly furnished in marble, gold, and grand chandeliers. Here are some of the must-see lobbies in downtown Pittsburgh.

Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel

107 6th Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412)-562-1200
www.marriott.com

The Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, designed by Grosvenor Atterbury, was built in 1906 by Henry Phipps. Originally named the Robert Fulton Building, the hotel was used as an office building until it was refurbished and reopened as a Marriott hotel in 2001. The Renaissance is known for its marble interior and leaded-glass skylight, which casts a blue tint on the dimly-lit lobby.

Koppers Building

436 7th Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412)-227-2919
www.koppers.com

The Koppers building, designed by architects Graham, Anderson, Probst, & White was opened in 1929. The limestone building is an excellent example of the Art Deco style.

Omni William Penn Hotel

530 William Penn Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412)-281-7100
http://www.omnihotels.com

The Omni William Penn Hotel, designed by architects Janssen & Abbott, was built in 1916 by Henry Clay Frick. The lobby is decorated by numerous chandeliers, as is the rest of the hotel, which is a popular location for weddings and receptions.

Union Trust Building

525 William Penn Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

The Union Trust Building, designed by architect Frederick J. Osterling, was built in 1916 by Henry Clay Frick. It was built on top of the site of the St. Paul Cathedral, which was sold in 1901 to Frick. The lobby features a beautiful stained glass skylight.

Frick Building

427 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412)-281-1260

The Frick Building, designed by D.H. Burnham & Company, was built in 1902 by Henry Clay Frick. At the time of its opening, the building was the tallest in Pittsburgh, at 20 stories high. The marble lobby features a large stained glass depiction of “Fortune at Her Wheel,” by John LaFarge, as well as gilded elevator doors and two large bronze lions.

One PPG Place

Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412)-434-3131
www.ppgplace.com

PPG Place, designed by John Burgee Architects with Philip Johnson, was opened in 1981. The six-building complex is covered in almost 1 million square feet of PPG’s Solarban 550 clear reflective glass. Housing both private and commercial businesses, the complex houses the Wintergarden, which is open to the public year-round.

– KDKA Web Intern Katie McLaughlin
View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,119 other followers