New Test May Better Predict Breast Cancer Recurrence

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Can breast cancer recurrence be predicted? Typically doctors use tumor size, spread, and what it looks like under the microscope.

“Based on that information,” says Allegheny General Hospital Breast Cancer Geneticist Dr. D. Lawrence Wickerham, “We’ve been able to be reasonably certain about broad categories of prognosis.”

But it turns out the tumor’s genetic signature gives an even more accurate glimpse into the future.

“[It’s] an additional step to personalize breast cancer treatment,” Dr. Wickerham said.

Researchers studied three genetic signature tests on the tumors of more than 600 post-menopausal women with estrogen receptor positive breast cancer who were treated with the drugs tamoxifen and anastrazole. From their tumor specimens, the cancer DNA was decoded in a lab.

While all three tests were predictive, one called the Breast Cancer Index was most predictive of recurrence five to ten years later.

“The test itself is new. It’s not commercially available. We’ll need additional validation, repeat testing to make sure it’s accurate, but it clearly has promise,” Dr. Wickerham said.

Right now, more than half the patients with the estrogen receptors who are treated with these drugs will have a recurrence after five years.

For that reason, nearly all women with this type of cancer receive hormonal therapy for ten years. If this new test becomes available, it could predict which ones can have a shorter course of what can be expensive medicine.

“With this test, we could potentially stop treatment in 60 percent of the women in five years,” Dr. Wickerham said. “For the other 40 percent at increased risk, we could convince them that taking this medication is the right thing for them to do.”


More Local News
More Health News
More Reports From Dr. Maria Simbra

More from Dr. Maria Simbra
  • Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations - Cancer Fact or Fiction

    […] Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations – 290390-1-DVD – House Energy and Commerce – 2009-12-02 – House Energy and Commerce Committee. Subcommittee on Health. Witnesses testified about new mamography recommendations issued by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force on November 16, 2009. The new guidelines had advised against annual mammograms for women under 50 who were at low risk of breast cancer. Witnesses explained the recommendations for screenings and defended the group’s guidelines, but acknowledged “poor” communication in explaining them to women. Several members also questioned how the guidelines might affect health care reform legislation and whether insurance companies would “ration” services for women who desired mammograms. Filmed by C-SPAN. Non-commercial use only. For more information, see […]

  • REAL Breast Cancer Awareness (The Darker Shade of Pink) - Cancer Fact or Fiction

    […] Mammograms Cause Breast Cancer […]

  • REAL Breast Cancer Awareness (The Darker Shade of Pink) - Cancer Fact or Fiction

    […] Mammograms Cause Breast Cancer […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Bringing You The Best in Sports Talk Radio
Download And Win Today!

Listen Live