Reporting Heather Abraham
Pirates CentralShop for Pirates Gear
Buy Pirates Tickets
Hot On CBS Pittsburgh
PITTSBURGH (KDKA/AP) – Pittsburgh Police released details of an incident at PNC Park last night, which involved the wife of a Cincinnati Reds pitcher.
Dallas Latos, the wife of Mat Latos, took to Twitter last night claiming she had been assaulted in the Budweiser Bow Tie Bar during the Pirates’ 6-2 Wild Card Game win.
The first tweet read, “Got punched in the head at least 3 times by a pirates fan so this has been cool.”
It was then followed by several more claiming she had spent most of the game speaking to police about the alleged incident.
On Wednesday, police held a press conference to discuss the incident.
According to police, the incident happened around 9:30 p.m. PNC Park security was initially called to the Bow Tie Bar, but police officers were soon called as well. When officers arrived, they found 20 to 30 Pirates and Reds fans shouting at each other.
“We as police officers at that time were then met with continual profanity, pushing, and shoving,” said Sgt. John Fisher, of Pittsburgh Police. “We identified approximately seven individuals, both Pirate and Red fans who were targeted for ejection.”
Police issued warnings to all involved, but more yelling, shouting and light shoving ensued. Police also said all involved appeared to be intoxicated to some extent.
At that time, Dallas Latos identified herself and said she had been assaulted by a Pirates fan.
A total of seven people from the bar area were ejected from the game, including two from Latos’ party.
Police did not witness the alleged attack and did not make any arrests. However, police did give identification information to all involved for the purpose of pursuing the case further with a local magistrate’s office on their own.
“We didn’t witness the assault. It’s a ‘he said, she said’ type of situation,” said Sgt. Fisher. “Even if we had witnessed the assault, based on the level….this would have rose to the level of harassment or a simple assault.”
There were no visible signs of an attack on Latos.
Police also said the players’ wives have a designated seating section within the ballpark that is guarded by security and police. That section is several sections away from the Bow Tie Bar. Latos was free to move around the ballpark and chose to enter the general population of the park.
“Mrs. Latos and her party opted to leave the secure environment, which they have the absolute right to do, but they opted to leave that environment and go to the Bow Tie Bar on their own and expose themselves to the general public,” said Sgt. Fisher.
Police said Latos declined medical attention.
Following the press conference, Latos continued to address the issue on Twitter and said she would be pressing charges. The tweet read, “Ok. I came on here to tell the truth and am more or less over the verbal abuse. Yes, I am pressing charges. Yes, that presser was garbage.”
Stay With KDKA.com For More Details
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)