PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Most pet owners know that chocolate can be toxic for dogs, but there are other common human foods that can also be dangerous or even deadly for them.
The Food and Drug Administration recently released information on people foods that can make dogs sick.
Here are a few you might not know about:
- Onions, garlic, and chives, and any foods seasoned with them, can damage a dog’s red blood cells, which can progress to anemia.
- Macadamia nuts are also toxic for dogs and can lead to vomiting, fever, and muscle weakness.
- Fatty foods like fried chicken can inflame a dog’s pancreas.
- Xylitol, a low-calorie sweetener used in many processed foods like gum, can cause a spike in a dog’s insulin levels. Just a few pieces of chewing gum that contain Xylitol could lower a small dog’s blood sugar to dangerous levels.
- Grapes, raisins, and dried currants can be extremely toxic for dogs’ kidneys, even causing renal failure.
Not all dogs react to these toxic foods the same way. Small dogs tend to be more sensitive than larger ones.
To keep your pooch totally safe, just stick with dog food.
For more information, visit Consumer Reports’ website here.
You might be wondering about toxic foods and cats. The FDA says cats can have similar reactions as dogs, but they are pickier eaters and are usually less likely to eat something that will make them sick.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports’ website. Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org.