PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Local protesters gathered for the fourth consecutive day over the death of George Floyd.

(Photo Credit: Meghan Schiller/KDKA)

According to chatter online, the protest started around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. This marked the second George Floyd protest to take place in Market Square. The first one occurred on Sunday and was largely considered to be peaceful.

Organizers said that they intended to keep today’s protest peaceful. Protesters chanted “Black Lives Matter” and “I can’t breathe.” Some protesters had backpacks with “Medic” labels overtop. The group planned to march to the Allegheny County Jail to chant and sing.

“We will start with the conversation of this man was murdered,” said Kevin Carmichael. “He didn’t die. He didn’t slip on a banana peel or choke on a chicken bone. He was killed. We all watched it.”

(Photo Credit: Meghan Schiller/KDKA)

WATCH: KDKA’s Jennifer Borrasso Reports Live From Market Square

At 4:13 p.m., the protesters held a moment of silence in Market Square.

Around 4:30 p.m., the group started to move toward Allegheny County Jail. The group sat in front of the Allegheny County Jail as of 4:45 p.m. Pittsburgh Public Safety said Second Avenue was closed, and that the protest was still considered a lawful assembly.

(Photo Credit: Meghan Schiller/KDKA)

The group started moving from Allegheny County Jail to the 10th Street Bridge around 6:00 p.m.

Protesters sat down on the roadway, and Pittsburgh Public Safety said that East Carson Street was closed.

According to Public Safety, the crowd moved outbound on East Carson Street as of 6:35 p.m.

As of 6:42 p.m., the group changed direction and headed back on the 10th Street Bridge toward downtown Pittsburgh.

The protesters moved down on Second Avenue and past the Allegheny County Jail around 7:00 p.m. Road closures were in place, but the protest remained peaceful, according to Public Safety.

The group returned to Market Square as of 7:06 p.m.

(Photo Credit: Meghan Schiller/KDKA)

The demonstration has ended without any violence, arrests or incidents according to Public Safety.

“We wanted to protest at the Allegheny County Jail to send a message not to go against their constitutional rights to gather and protest,” said organizer Dasia Clemons. “I hope they got the message because we will be doing it every day.”

Monday saw a return to violent protests, this time in East Liberty. Officials say the demonstration started off as peaceful but descended into violence around 7 p.m. Monday night. As a result, 20 people were arrested, four from out of state, and nine police officers were injured.

The first large protest happened on Saturday, which saw several businesses damaged and the first curfew related to the protest put in place.


Meghan Schiller