By: KDKA-TV News Staff
TAMPA BAY (KDKA) – The Steelers may not have been in Tampa Bay for Super Bowl LV but there was a special fan in attendance for the coin toss.READ MORE: Allegheny Co. Council To Vote On Paid Sick Leave Bill
- Amanda Gorman To Recite Original Poem For Super Bowl Ceremony
- Pittsburgh-Area Veteran Chosen As Honorary Captain For Super Bowl Coin Toss
- Pittsburgh Marine Serving As Honorary Team Captain At Super Bowl LV
- Honorary Team Captain And Pittsburgh Marine James Martin Arrives At Super Bowl LV
- Poet Amanda Gorman Dedicates Part Of Super Bowl Poem To Honorary Team Captain James Martin
James Martin, a Marine Corps veteran, Center Township native, and one of the honorary team captains was part of the pregame festivities.
He & two others were selected because of their dedication & commitment to helping others during the COVID-19 pandemic.READ MORE: 'Good Eat$ Downtown' Campaign Begins, Aimed At Bringing Business Back To Downtown Restaurants
— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) February 7, 2021
He was chosen as an honorary captain for his work during the COVID-19 pandemic, helping set up live-streams for Aliquippa High School athletics so parents and friends could watch sporting events this year.
He’s also been helping veterans connect during video game live streams.
“We all need connection,” Martin said. “If there’s anything this pandemic has shown, it’s that everybody needs the interaction, they need their friends, they need their family, they need their restaurants and that’s understood, but when we can’t have them, there’s always another way.”MORE NEWS: Man Linked To 3 Ohio Homicides Dies After Detroit Shooting
In true Pittsburgh fashion, Martin made sure his suit was black and gold, representing the Steel City.