GREENSBURG, Pa. (KDKA) – Charges have been dropped against a key witness in the trial of Rahmael Holt, a man who was convicted of murdering former New Kensington Police Officer Brian Shaw.
Investigators say what ended in the fatal shooting of Officer Shaw started as a traffic stop in November of 2017.READ MORE: Pa. Supreme Court Says Gun Rights Groups Can Sue Municipalities That Enact Gun Safety Laws In Violation Of State's Preemption Laws
During Holt’s trial, the jury saw a brownish-gold Jeep Cherokee that was driven by Tavon Harper. DNA found in the Jeep was a mixture of three individuals, one being Tavon Harper.
Harper also testified that Holt wrote him letters from jail. At least one of the letters ask Harper to change his testimony, Harper told the court.READ MORE: Supply Chain Issues: 'There Really Are Problems Everywhere,' Even For Small Companies
A handwriting expert who testified during the trial says Holt did not write the one-page letter that allegedly asks for Harper to contact Holt’s lawyer saying, “I need you to write a statement to my lawyer saying you dropped me off and then we’ll be both good.”
The expert then said Holt did write the four-page letter that asks Harper to change his story and tell police he dropped him off and picked up another person he did not know.
The charges against Harper, including drug-related charges and one count of attempting to elude officers, were dropped on Monday.MORE NEWS: Pittsburgh Weather: Tornado Warnings Issued For Parts Of Mercer, Lawrence, Washington, Greene And Butler Counties
- ‘Incredible Stupidity’: DA, Defense Attorney Deliver Opening Statements In Rahmael Holt Trial
- Key Witness Takes Stand On Day 2 Of Holt Trial, Offers Testimony On Letters Holt Wrote From Jail
- Witness: Rahmael Holt Appeared Anxious, ‘Not Himself’ On Night Of Officer’s Shooting
- Focus Turns To Pair Of Levi’s Jeans In Rahmael Holt Trial, Jury Also Sees Crime Scene Photos
- Two Tracfones Found By Police Become Key Evidence In Rahmael Holt Trial
- Prosecution, Defense Present Closing Arguments On Day 6 Of Rahmael Holt’s Trial
- Rahmael Holt Found Guilty In The Death Of Former New Kensington Police Officer Brian Shaw
- ‘I Will Never Forgive You’: Officer Shaw’s Family Gives Emotional Testimony During Sentencing Phase
- More Reports On This Story